July 2019 webcast agenda for KY K-12 CIOs/edtech leaders
Please join us virtually on Tuesday (July 16th) at 10 am (EST) while we broadcast from KDE’s HQ at the Sower Building. It will end no later than 11 am timeframe. Below are the audio and video links for the webcast. We always encourage you to watch or listen to the webcast live; however we do understand there are certain situations that may prevent that. We will usually provide a written summary of this month’s webcast in 4 weeks with next month’s webcast agenda, however there are certain items that you need to be aware of that will occur before you get that written summary. For that reason, we again encourage you or your representative to tune into this month’s webcast. You can tune in and be part of the webcast from any device by going to the following link: http://mediaportal.education.ky.gov/watch-live/. You can give us your live feedback and ask questions during the webcast though GoSoapBox Link: http://app.gosoapbox.com. The GoSoapBox access code: edtech
KY K-12 main edtech points of emphasis and discussion for July’s webcast
- The SY 2019-2020 edtech needs for KY K-12. Presented to the KBE in August and the SFCC in September.
- The federal, state and local resources available to address those KY K-12 edtech needs in SY 2018-2019. Presented to the KBE in August and the SFCC in September.
- The estimated KETS offer assistance per ADA for SY 2019-2020. Presented to the KBE in August and the SFCC in September.
- Reminder of the annual cybersecurity health for your Supt and board is to occur NLT 31 Aug of each year, including this year. And an update from our KY K-12 Cybersecurity advisory committee.
- Thanks to Woodford County for highlighting in your local paper a story about not only some network improvements within the school district but also using that opportunity to inform/educate folks that that all KY school districts are already connected to the Internet and KY was the first state to do it over 2 decades ago.
- E-rate 2 Notices of Proposed Rulemaking – Awareness & Action
- PROPOSED UNIVERSAL SERVICE FUND CAP CHANGES- Universal Services Contribution Methodology. On May 31, 2019, the Commission released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (“Notice”) seeking comment and published in the Federal Register on June 13, 2019, Filing Deadline for Comments: July 29, 2019 and Filing Deadline for Reply Comments: August 26, 2019
- Proposed permanent adoption of Category 2 Budget Approach originally instituted in 2014 with establishment of a five-year test period – on July 9th, 2019, the Commission released seeking comment and published to the Federal Register TBA.
- KDE is preparing and coordinating appropriate KY K-12 responses, encouraging districts to submit individual responses and to provide points of emphases that should be included in the KDE K-12 response and reviewing responses of national organizations to ensure Ky. K-12 is represented appropriately.
- Contracts/Bids – Awareness
- Educator Certification and Ethics System RFI published 7/3/19 by FAC on behalf of KDE, with initial clarifying questions due back from interested vendors on 7/9 and deadline for vendor responses 7/31/19. The purpose is to obtain information and suggestions regarding the acquisition of an educator certification and ethics system for the Commonwealth.
- KETS Printer Contracts expired/Sunset 6/30/19.
- District Lease Reviews- remain aware that KRS 65.944(1)(b) and 702 KAR 3:300 establish the requirement and procedures for school district leases in excess of $100,000 to be approved by the Commissioner of Education and to this effect KDE has established a process. Effective 7/9/19, any district lease in excess of $100,000 that has been signed and executed without KDE review and approval must include that notice and an explanation of how that occurred within the superintendent’s letter to KDE that accompanies the lease package.
- OET’s annual vendor partner meeting on July 15th .
- 2018-19 School Report Card –
- Set up for SRC users is different for 2019
- School Safety opened to districts for review/approval July 15
- School Collection Tool opened July 15 and will close August 30.
- Non-accountability data on schedule to be open for district review
Aug. 7. Review/approval period will close Sept. 6.
- QA day for accountability date TBD.
- Planning for fall release in late September.
- Infinite Campus
- Beginning-of-year training conducted July 11 with 133 registered participants. Registration and completion of the post-training survey is required to receive EILA credit for participation.
- Additional Campus release in July – Campus.1929 will be deployed on July 31 to avoid impacting first weeks of school in August.
- Single sign on – statement of work approved – Infinite Campus ticket created – target date 1/1/2020.
- Data visualization district advisory group met in July.
- Infinite Campus invoices mailed in May – payment is due no later than Aug 15.
- Update on KY K-12 Firewall upgrade in 172 districts. (FYI, Silver Grove Independent officially combined into Campbell County schools last week, so there are now 172 KY K-12 districts. In 1972 there were 190 KY K-12 school districts.).
- The KY K-12 Internet pipe will be upgraded to 200GB to help address the Internet demand of KY K-12 students and teachers. Will make it one of the biggest Internet pipes of any kind of public or private organization in the nation/world.
- Education Week Magazine- How Edtech leaders are tackling 5 Big Challenges: (1) Beefing up cybersecurity, (2) Budgeting on a shoestring, (3) Leveraging data to drive instruction, (4) Breaking down information silos and (5) Improving edtech training and PD for teachers and leaders.
Lastly, our next KY K-12 CIOs/edtech leaders webcast will be on the 4th Tuesday of August (i.e., August 27th) at Grayson County schools versus on the 3rd Tuesday on the month that we normally have our webcast. Take care.