The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that states establish advisory panels to advise and assist the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE) on special education and related services for children with disabilities. The SAPEC members represent various agencies, individuals with disabilities, parents of children with disabilities, service providers and administrators.
The SAPEC has several duties outlined in federal regulation, including:
- Advise the Department of Education of unmet needs within Kentucky in the education of children with disabilities;
- Review and comment on rules or regulations proposed by the Commonwealth relating to the education of children with disabilities;
- Advise the KDE in developing evaluations and reporting on data to the U.S. Secretary of Education under section 618 of the Act;
- Advise the KDE in developing corrective action plans to address findings identified in Federal monitoring reports under Part B of the Act; and
- Advise the KDE in developing and implementing policies relating to the coordination of services for children with disabilities.